Dental crowns and bridges are made to last. With proper care, you can enjoy the restorative benefits of your crowns and bridges for a lifetime. However, if not treated properly, they can become loose or fall out completely. The following tips can help you care for your restorative dental work and prevent complications that can cause them to fail:
- Brush your teeth after every meal to prevent the plaque and calcium buildup that breeds bacteria.
- Floss around your teeth, crowns and bridges daily. Although cleaning around dental bridges can be difficult, it’s important to clean between the teeth that anchor the bridge. To make this task easier, look for specialized floss tools or an oral water irrigator. Water-based flossing aides can easily clean under and around the bridge work, as well as between teeth and gums.
- Sonic toothbrushes are another good idea to help easily remove and break down plague between teeth, and under and around the gum line.
- Utilize antibacterial mouthwash to further attack damaging bacteria.
- Refrain from eating sticky or hard foods. Chewing gum, ice, and hard candies can do irreversible damage to your bridgework.
- Maintain a regular schedule of dental checkups and professional cleanings.
- Follow a balanced, nutritious diet to help your teeth and gums stay healthy and able to support your crowns and bridges.
By following these simple and effective guidelines, you should be able to enjoy many years of improved aesthetics and function from your crowns and bridges. Consult with Louisville dentist Dr. Smythe for any additional care instructions, and enjoy your healthy smile for a lifetime.